Fire crews arrived at the Unocal 76 station at 161 Branham Lane, at Snell Avenue, at about 10 p.m., according to fire Capt. Scott Kouns. Calls to 911 reported the gas station was on fire, but crews found the flames were coming from a vehicle in one of the station's maintenance bays, Kouns said.
"There was a lot of smoke because of the fuels inside the vehicle, but it didn't extend to the rest of the building," he said of the fire.
Crews fully controlled the fire within about 30 minutes, and prevented the flames from spreading beyond the vehicle, Kouns said. No one was injured.
The gas station's owner, Nassir Aryubi, said an employee tried to spray water on the flames, "but the fire was so big they had to leave and call 911."
The fire started in car that was brought in for repair work on some faulty electrical components, he said.
"They left it overnight and we had all the parts ready, but it couldn't make it through the night," he said.