Pear and Blue Cheese Tartines
- 4 slices sourdough bread, lightly toasted
- 2 ounces blue cheese, at room temperature
- 2 pears, rinsed, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
- Freshly ground pepper
- Spread each slice of toast with blue cheese and cover with pear slices.
- Garnish with alfalfa sprouts and walnuts, season with pepper, and serve.
Sea Scallop and Fleur de Sel Tartines
- 4 sea scallops, each sliced horizontally into 4 thin disks
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 4 slices country bread, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or walnut oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel (large-grained "flower of salt" harvested from the sea works magic)
- Place the scallops in a small bowl with the lemon juice and marinate for 3 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, brush the toasted bread slices with the olive oil.
- Drain the scallops and lay 4 scallop slices, over-lapping, on each slice of toast, garnish with the lemon zest and fleur de sel, and serve immedi-ately.
Goat Cheese and Hazelnut Tartines
- 5 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 4 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- 1/3 cup toasted and coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Spread the goat cheese on toasts, sprinkle with ha-zelnuts, and drizzle the honey.
- Garnish with rose-mary and serve.
Ricotta and Anchovy Tartines
- 4 anchovies, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta, at room temperature
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices country bread, toasted
- Place the anchovies in a shallow bowl in one layer. Pour the vinegar over the anchovies and marinate for 1 minute. Pour out the vinegar, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the bowl and set aside.
- Place the ricotta in a small bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread the seasoned ricotta on the toasted bread slices.
- Top each slice with 1 anchovy, drizzle with the remaining 1 table-spoon olive oil, season with additional freshly ground pepper, and serve.
About Mireille Guiliano:
Internationally bestselling author Mireille Guiliano was for over 20 years a spokesperson for Champagne Veuve Clicquot and a senior executive at LVMH as well as CEO of Clicquot, Inc., the US firm she helped found in 1984.
Her first book, French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure, became a runaway best seller around the globe in 2005. She followed up in fall 2006 with French Women for All Seasons: A Year of Secrets, Recipes and Pleasure.
In both, through her personal stories and illustrations, she espouses living life to the fullest by embracing quality, sensitivity, seasonality, and pleasure while maintaining a healthy equilibrium.
A native of France, she grew up amidst cooks, chefs, and restaurateurs in provincial France and was educated in Paris, where she studied French and English literature at the Sorbonne and languages at the Institut Supérieur d'Interprétariat et de Traduction.
Mireille holds the French equivalent of a master's degree in English and German and a certification as a translator/interpreter. She also has a command of Italian and several other languages.
She currently resides in Manhattan with her husband, Edward, president and CEO of New York Institute of Technology, and makes frequent trips to their homes in Paris and Provence for business and pleasure -- always pleasure.
For more information about Mireille, visit mireilleguiliano.com
>> Buy this book on Amazon: The French Women Don't Get Fat Cookbook
Please join Mirelle Guiliano at these local events in the Bay Area:
Thursday May 6
Ticketed lunch at Left Bank Brasserie, 12:30 p.m.
635 Santa Cruz Avenue
Menlo Park, CA
Thursday May 6
Ticketed dinner at Moussy's, 6 p.m.
1345 Bush St
San Francisco, CA 94109
Phone: (415) 441-1802
Saturday May 8
CUESA Farmer's Market cooking demo, Book Passage to sell books, 11:45 a.m.
Book Passage Bookstore
in the San Francisco Ferry Building
1 Ferry Building, #42
San Francisco, CA 94111
Phone: (415) 835-1020
Saturday May 8
A Great Good Place for Books at 4 p.m.
6120 LaSalle Ave.
Oakland, CA 94611
Phone: (510) 339-8210
Sunday May 9
Mother's Day brunch and book signing at Reader's Books, 11 a.m. 130 East Napa Street
Sonoma, CA 95476-6710
Phone: (707) 939-1779