FULL SHOW: Watch the entire 60-minute special here
You can also watch the show by segments. See below for more information.
Spencer Christian travels to Paris and visits the Musée d'Orsay to learn about the birth of Impressionism. Hear the inspiring stories of how a group of artists broke free from classical painting to launch what has become one of the most prolific eras in the history of fine arts.
>> VIDEO: The birth of Impressionism
The Fathers of Impressionism -- A look at how Edouard Manet and Claude Monet changed the 19th century art scene.
>> VIDEO: The Fathers of Impressionism
Spencer Christian travels to Giverny, France to talk to Claude Monet's great grand-daughter-in-law about what inspired some of his most famous works. Plus, she opens up about Monet's friendship with Manet.
>> VIDEO: Monet's inspirations
Pierre August Renoir -- From being too poor to buy paint to creating some of the most beloved impressionist paintings, discover the man behind the masterpieces.
>> VIDEO: Pierre August Renoir
His ballet dancers captured our hearts -- the mysterious Edgar Degas -- and what we do know about his private life.
>> VIDEO: The mysterious Edgar Degas
Van Gogh, Cézanne, Gauguin -- The impact of the Post Impressionists.
>> VIDEO: Van Gogh, Cézanne, Gauguin
The Musee d'Orsay comes to the de Young -- San Francisco is one the few cities in the world to host this incredible Impressionist collection. Find out why it was chosen and what you can enjoy while it's here!
>> VIDEO: The Musee d'Orsay comes to the de Young
Birth of Impressionism: Masterpieces from the Musée d'Orsay
May 22, 2010 - September 6, 2010 de Young Museum, San Francisco
Notable works include:
- The Fife Player by Edouard Manet (1866)
- Family Reunion by Frédéric Bazille (1867)
- Arrangement in Gray and Black No. 1 or Portrait of the Artist's Mother by James McNeill Whistler (1871)
- The Birth of Venus by William Adolphe Bouguereau (1879)
- The Cradle by Berthe Morisot (1872)
- Saint-Lazare Station by Claude Monet (1877)
- The Swing by Pierre-Auguste Renoir (1876)
- Rue Montorgueil, Paris. Festival of June 30, 1878 by Claude Monet (1878)
- Racehorses Before the Stands by Edgar Degas (1866-1868)
- The Dancing Lesson by Edgar Degas (1873-1876)
- Portraits at the Stock Exchange by Edgar Degas (1878-1879)
Van Gogh, Gauguin, Cézanne and Beyond: Post-Impressionist Masterpieces from the Musée d'Orsay
September 25, 2010 - January 18, 2011 de Young Museum, San Francisco
Notable works in this exhibition include:
- A Dance in the Country by Pierre-Auguste Renoir (1883)
- The Circus by George Seurat (1891)
- Self Portrait by Vincent van Gogh (1887)
- Starry Night over the Rhone by Vincent van Gogh (1888)
- The Artist's Bedroom at Arles by Vincent van Gogh (1889)
- Portrait of the Artist with the Yellow Christ by Paul Gauguin (1889)
- Tahitian Women, On the Beach by Paul Gauguin (1891)
- Still Life with Onions by Paul Cézanne (1895)
- The Snake Charmer by Henri Rousseau (1907)
For More Information: