- 32-35ea baby carrots, varying in size and color
- 4oz Chile de Arbol butter, recipe follows
- 1c White Iroquois Cornmeal
- 5c Whole Milk
- 2oz Extra Dark Chocolate, for grating
- 1c Roasted pistachios, chopped
1oz Chile De Arbol
8oz Whole Butter
- Start by softening the butter to about room temperature. Using a 10" skillet, toast the Chile de Arbol until it starts to yield a toasty aroma. Blend in a spice grinder and mix with the butter until fully incorporated.
- For best results allow to stand, refrigerated for one day before using.
- Clean the Carrots of any access roots or dirt and rinse. Dry well and roast in a pan with the Chile de Arbol butter until the carrots start to pick up color.
- In a separate pot add the cornmeal and the whole milk together and whisk until the cornmeal is completely absorbed and the mixture becomes thick. Season with salt.
- To plate arrange the cornmeal on the bottom of the plate then arrange carrots in a linear fashion. Top with grated chocolate, and pistachios, if you still have some of the carrot tops, they make a great garnish as well.
About Chef Christopher Kostow:
A Michelin-starred chef before the age of 30, Christopher Kostow takes a thoughtful approach to food that belies his age. Masterfully blending contemporary French cuisine with the farm-to-table tradition, Kostow creates a transcendent experience for diners every night at The Restaurant at Meadowood.
Kostow, a Chicago native, trained in kitchens far and wide: from a Paris bistro to the Michelin-starred Le Jardin des Sens in Montpellier. Upon returning to the States, Kostow worked as sous chef under Daniel Humm in San Francisco. He soon became top toque at Chez TJ in Mountain View, Calif., garnering the restaurant many accolades including two Michelin stars and a coveted spot on Food & Wine's list of Top Ten Dishes of the Year in 2007.
Upon arriving at Meadowood, a proud member of Relais & Chateaux, in February of 2008, Christopher maintained two Michelin Stars, was nominated for Best Chef, Pacific by the James Beard Society and named one of Food & Wine Magazine's Best New Chefs 2009. In February of 2010, Christopher garnered a rare four stars in the San Francisco Chronicle.
The Restaurant at Meadowood
900 Meadowood Lane
Saint Helena, CA 94574
Phone: (707) 963-3646
Find Meadowood online:
About 2010 Auction Napa Valley:
What are you doing the first weekend in June? Join us for the must-attend wine event of the year, Auction Napa Valley, June 3-6, 2010. 45 vintner parties, 275 offerings of wine and one-of-a-kind experiences, four days of all the best Napa Valley has to offer. The NVV's annual community fundraiser benefits health, youth development and housing non-profits.
For more info or to purchase tickets, go to www.napavintners.com
The online E-Auction is open for those who cannot attend in person also at www.napavintners.com.
This week's E-Auction closes on Sunday (week 3 of 4) and the final E-Auction (week 4 of 4) opens on Sunday and closes in real time with the Friday (June 4th) event at Rubicon.