Concord robbery suspect holding 1-year-old hostage


Anthony Alvarez, who also said he suffered a head injury, has been holding a 1-year-old boy hostage at an apartment complex in the 2400 block of Arden Way in Sacramento since about 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, sheriff's spokeswoman Sharon Chow said. He exchanged several rounds of gunfire with sheriff's SWAT officers overnight.

Alvarez, whose birthday is today, has been in communication via phone with family members and told them he suffered a bullet wound to his arm and some sort of head wound, according to Sacramento County sheriff's Sgt. Tim Curran.

"However, we have had a visual on him and do not believe that to be true," Curran said.

Alvarez is wanted in connection with a May 26 bank robbery at the U.S. Bank at 4663 Clayton Road in Concord.

He is also suspected of shooting at a Concord police officer who pursued him after a traffic stop on Friday, and he is considered a potential suspect in a Bay Area homicide, Curran said.

Alvarez remained in the home with the boy as of 4 p.m. today. Authorities spotted the boy, who appeared to be uninjured, inside the home at about 2 p.m., Chow said.

A robot with a camera was sent into the complex this morning, and Alvarez shot and damaged it, Chow said.

On Friday night, Concord police pulled Alvarez over, but he allegedly ran from the car. At one point, Alvarez allegedly fired shots at a pursuing police officer, and the officer returned fire. No one was injured, but Alvarez managed to escape.

Police traced him to the Sacramento apartment complex, and Concord police descended on the complex with an FBI representative and Sacramento sheriff's deputies.

The standoff began after Alvarez saw an officer, grabbed his cousin's 1-year-old son and brought him into an apartment. Several adults were able to flee the apartment.

It was later determined there was also a 4-year-old child in the unit who was evacuated through a rear window without Alvarez's knowledge, according to the sheriff's office.

Arden Way has been blocked off between Fulton Avenue and Bell Street since the standoff began, Chow said.

Copyright © 2024 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.