Community chips in to help with dog's medical bills

HAYWARD, Calif.

Diamond became a hero after waking up his owner, Darryl Steen, by barking just before a fire destroyed the man's apartment last October. Because of the barking, Steen and his two daughters got out safely.

Diamond had more than $5,600 in veterinary bills after suffering severe smoke inhalation and second and third degree burns. The community stepped up and paid all the bills, and then some.

Steen is in the process of returning some of the money to those donors.

Copyright © 2019 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.