Officers responded to an apartment building in the 1500 block of Regent Street at about 7 p.m. after receiving a report that a teenage boy had barricaded himself in a bathroom and was possibly committing suicide, police said.
Police broke down the bathroom door and found the boy deceased. Investigators discovered that the teen had prepared a toxic mix of chemicals, which he deliberately inhaled, police said.
A hazardous materials team responded and evacuated the building until the chemicals no longer posed a threat, and residents were then allowed to return home.
Two police officers, a sergeant, and several residents who were exposed to the chemicals were decontaminated and taken to a hospital for observation. They have all since been released.