Man and his dog killed in Alameda house fire


Firefighters were dispatched to the blaze at 1810 Elm St. at 8:43 p.m., acting Battalion Chief Bob Buell said.

The fire was under control about forty minutes later at 9:23 p.m., but the resident of the house was killed, Buell said.

Kenneth Chait, 59, was found in the hallway of his home headed to another room. His dachshund was also killed in the fire.

The fire started in the kitchen, and investigators believe that the fire may have been started by a potentially overloaded outlet where a dryer and microwave were plugged in.

The large response to the fire required Alameda firefighters to request assistance from the Oakland Fire Department to standby at Alameda fire stations in case another call came in, or if the Elm Street fire grew bigger than the Alameda department could handle.

Copyright © 2024 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.