Third person arrested in connection with Muni vandalism


Adam Diaz, 24, is the third person to be arrested in connection with the incident, in which several people vandalized and torched an 8X-Bayshore Express bus around 12:30 a.m. on Oct. 29, hours after the Giants beat the Detroit Tigers to clinch the World Series.

He was arrested on suspicion of felony vandalism and felony damaging or destroying a passenger transit vehicle, police said.

Police released photos showing a man believed to be Diaz smashing a bus window with a skateboard. He was identified and arrested due to the help of members of the public, many of whom were outraged by the destruction.

Police also released photos of Diaz and an additional suspect today, a black male in his 20s seen in photos breaking the front windshield of the Muni bus using a police barricade.

Police previously arrested Nicholas Hudson, 19, of Daly City on Wednesday. He pleaded not guilty Thursday to charges of felony vandalism and willful tampering with a passenger transit vehicle.

Hudson was initially arrested on suspicion of arson but prosecutors declined to file that charge against him. Hudson is being held without bail because he is on probation for unrelated charges in San Mateo County.

Prosecutor Tinnetta Thompson said Hudson is a documented Norteno gang member and was caught on a video breaking the driver's side window of the Muni bus.

There were eight passengers on the bus along with the bus driver when it was stopped. All nine got off the bus safely before it was destroyed, police said.

The bus cost $700,000 and had recently been renovated at an additional cost of $300,000, Muni spokesman Paul Rose said.

Hudson will return to court on Nov. 26 for the preliminary hearing.

The other man arrested so far for the Muni vandalism, Gregory Graniss, 22, pleaded not guilty Monday to similar charges. He was photographed smashing the windshield of the bus with a metal police barricade, police said.

Copyright © 2024 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.