Fatal Sunnyvale mobile home fire investigated


The mobile command unit for the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety is on scene and so is the Santa Clara County Arson Task Force. They're trying to figure out what started this fire that killed two people.

The debris of the mobile home off Borregas Avenue in Sunnyvale covered up a dark truth. Two people in their 70s died there early Thursday morning.

The hope was they were staying somewhere else for the night. But the reality came to light when the sun came up.

Firefighters discovered their bodies about five hours later, just before 7 a.m.

"We believe they were right near a bedroom doorway and a hallway," said Capt. Jeff Hunter with the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety.

The flames were huge at about 2 a.m. And an explosion blew debris onto a neighbor's roof. Firefighters couldn't go in, dousing the flames with water from the outside.

"I heard the sirens," said neighbor Kathy Love. "And I opened my front door and I saw the flames burning way up high above the trees and I yelled to my husband that it's either Caroline Palm, my friends who live across from them, or Dorothy and Al's house. So I ran down here to the corner and I saw that it was Dorothy and Al's."

Investigators believe Dorothy and Al never made it of their home but Dorothy's son, Joey, did escape.

Neighbors say the man in his early 50s is mentally challenged and lived in the home with the couple.

They were longtime residents of the Cape Cod Village, a close knit senior community.

"I don't know what to say," resident Phil Small said. "I just can't believe that they still might be in there. It just doesn't seem right."

People living outside the mobile home community could see the huge flames from far away.

Michael Enciso took cellphone video showing the flames. He witnessed the fire when he got home from work.

"I prayed I hope nobody is inside, you know," said Sunnyvale resident Michael Enciso. "That's the last thing you want. Everything else is replaceable you just can't replace a life."

Neighbors say Al worked as a school crossing guard.

As for the investigation, the next step is for the Santa Clara County Medical Examiner's Office to remove the bodies and confirm their identities.

Copyright © 2024 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.