SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A new partnership between winemakers and restaurants is taking flight at Santana Row in San Jose.
Serena Harkey, wine director at Vine Dining Enterprises, is behind the Flight for Allyship, a new program that aims to feature under-represented winemakers. The effort started last summer following the Black Lives Matter protests, but this month, she's putting the spotlight on Asian American winemakers who are based in the Bay Area.
"With what's happening in the AAPI community now, we recognize that this was really the time to acknowledge that community and give back, and shed a light and have some exposure for those producers who need it," said Harkey.
To help curate the program, Harkey worked with an organization called Diversity in Food and Beverage, an inclusive community for those who advocate for equality and equity in the hospitality industry. A portion of the proceeds will go to support their work.
Representation matters," said Lia Jones, DIFB executive director. "When you see someone that looks like you, it's compelling, it's welcoming, and it's giving people a sense of belonging."
The wine flight will be available at Left Bank Brasserie, LB Steak, and Meso Modern Mediterranean. Kenny Likitprakong, one of the featured winemakers, was glad to see both his Ghostwriter Pinot Noir and his Hobo Wine Company Cabernet Sauvignon getting some love.
"The people behind a bottle of wine are as important and as big a part of the story as the place and the variety," said Likitprakong.
Hospitality veterans say it's a chance to not only empower those in the industry but to also educate consumers.
"It is about bringing people together," said Harkey. "It's about the community and this is just another opportunity to enhance that and get to know someone you wouldn't necessarily have before."
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Bay Area Asian Americans share powerful, painful memories of hate
- 83-year-old Asian man describes debilitating SF attack, warns people 'to be careful'
- 'Go back to China': Racist rant suspect ID'd as daughter of late NY senator
- Daniel Dae Kim, members of Congress to testify on discrimination, violence against Asian Americans
- Asian grandma knocked unconscious in unprovoked attack in NY
- Family outraged over SF DA's description of 84-year-old Asian man's suspected killer
- Nearly 3,800 anti-Asian hate incidents reported across US since March 2020, group says
- 'This is horrific': SFPD to step up patrols amid string of violent attacks on Asian Americans
- Daniel Wu, W. Kamau Bell discuss shocking crimes against Asian Americans
- Santa Cruz Warriors guard Jeremy Lin comments on racial slur directed at him
- #StandForAsians rally draws hundreds in San Mateo with 7th grader leading the charge
- Actors Daniel Dae Kim, Daniel Wu discuss violent crimes against Asian Americans in Bay Area
- Police investigating after Asian man stabbed in back in NYC's Chinatown
- Burma Superstar offers $5,000 reward as ABC7 receives reports of additional attacks on Asian Americans
- EXCLUSIVE: Former Bay Area gang member arrested after threatening to kill Asians online
- 'We're on alert': Volunteers arm Oakland Chinatown business owners with air horns for safety
- Arrest in NYC assault on Chinese woman after Olivia Munn called for public's help
- Hundreds of people are volunteering to escort elderly Asian Americans to help keep them safe
- Surge in racism against Asian Americans spurs calls for change
- Oakland police chief visits Chinatown shops, emphasizes need for 'greater presence' after attacks, crime