Who did it and why remains a mystery.
Owner James Jesse said the fire was started early in the morning on March 18.
RELATED: EXCLUSIVE: 2 Asian seniors believe they were targeted after car fires in Oakland
Surveillance video from inside the shop shows the front window being smashed and the Molotov cocktail thrown inside Jesse James Tattoo.
"I just wanted to make sure no one got hurt," said Jesse about getting the call.
The shop on the 1800 block of Euclid Avenue in Berkeley has two stories of apartments above, though no one was injured.
The inside of the shop suffered serious damage.
RELATED: Businesses in SF victims of arson, possibly 'racially motivated' crime spree
James said they canceled their insurance last year after they were forced to shut down in November due to the pandemic.
"There wasn't enough money to pay rent. We didn't think we needed insurance if nobody is doing anything because we were shut down," he said, unsure how he will make up the losses.
He had been planning on finally opening back up on Wednesday, March 31, but those plans are indefinitely on hold as he figures out what to do next.
He said he has many theories about why they may have been targeted, but admits they won't know for sure until someone is caught.
RELATED: 2 teens admit to starting 4-alarm fire on Sign Hill in South San Francisco, police say
"We don't have enemies," he said. "We are all still wondering who did it."
A GoFundMe has been set up to raise money for repairs.
ABC7 has contacted the Berkeley Police Department for more information.
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows which counties can, can't reopen under reopening tiers
- Cheat sheet: What you can and can't do after being fully vaccinated
- How to register for a COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Interactive map shows what's closed and what's reopening in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Third stimulus check calculator: See how much you could get
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic