SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Joe Biden thanked a lot of people for their support during his victory speech Saturday, among them the transgender community. Bay Area activists took notice.
Transgender activist Honey Mahogany was watching President-elect Joe Biden's victory speech on Saturday.
"I'm proud of the campaign we ran, I'm proud of the coalition we put together. Gay, straight, transgender, Latino, Asian," said President-elect Joe Biden.
Biden's clear recognition of the trans community was huge for many.
"It was intentional, direct, we all heard him, we are celebrating this moment because it is a historic moment," said Mahogany.
Mahogany was recently elected to San Francisco's Democratic County Central Committee.
"The first Black, trans woman elected in state of California," Mahogany added.
The transgender community has been targeted by President Trump. First, a controversial military policy essentially banning trans individuals from serving.
"It's been a confusing issue for the military, I'm doing the military a great favor," Trump said.
There were also attempts to restrict access to health care, and homeless shelters.
"The Trump administration has been systematically dismantling protections for Trans people, not just rights but our very existence," Mahogany said.
Activist Aria Said is hopeful things will change.
"I'm still digesting what it means to be affirmed by new administration, after four years of horrible rhetoric," said Said.
Honey Mahogany is cautiously optimistic about the future.
We know our history, we know we've been here before, we'll keep fighting with democrats to make sure marginalized people are brought to the table," said Mahogany.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live running updates on presidential election, CA, Bay Area
- Joe Biden is set to become the next president of the US, vowing new direction for divided country
- Watch Kamala Harris' journey to become 1st Black, Asian woman elected to vice presidency
- What next for President Donald Trump after 2020 presidential election?
- How to pronounce Kamala Harris' name and what it means
- Who would replace Sen. Kamala Harris if she becomes vice president?
- Dance parties, celebrations across US as Biden characterized as apparent president-elect
- Joe Biden set to be president: Notable reactions from America, world
- Poll Results: Biden set to be president, how long will it take to unite country?
- Trump faces tough road in getting Supreme Court to intervene in 2020 presidential election results
- How many electoral votes does each state have?
- Here's how presidential transition process works after an election
- Will loser of the 2020 presidential election accept the result and concede?
- CA propositions: Election results for the 2020 ballot measures
- 2020 CA election results by county, propositions, electoral college votes
- Map shows biggest Trump, Biden donors in SF Bay Area
- Map: These Bay Area precincts voted for Donald Trump in 2016
- What is voter suppression?