SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Medical staff at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center made an urgent plea Wednesday morning for personal protective equipment (PPE) and funds as they prepare to weather the third wave of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations.
"We are not done and we need you badly right now," said Chris Wilder, Executive Director of the Valley Medical Foundation during a news conference.
RELATED: How would a California curfew work? Are they effective? UCSF doctor weighs in
The VMC Foundation is the nonprofit fundraising arm of the Santa Clara Valley Medical Center.
"This third wave is uniquely different. We're in the winter, we have non-COVID patients in the hospital and we're getting to historical norms in terms of the census. And now we have this 'X' factor we don't know how many COVID patients we're going to have," said Sanjay Kurani, M.D., Medical Director of Valley Medical Center.
The medical staff brings through supplies like gloves, surgical and N95 masks. The VMC is asking for the philanthropic community in the South Bay to step up, this time donating dollars.
RELATED: California tightens COVID-19 mask restrictions, face coverings must be worn outdoors at all times
"If someone is sitting on a stockpile of PPE right now and they haven't given it by now, odds are they aren't going to so the most important thing people can give is dollars so we can then source the things we need," said Wilder.
The goal is to raise $3.5 million by the end of the year to get them through the winter.
The medical staff is going through an average of 7,000 surgical masks and 30,000 gloves each day.
RELATED: Will travelers follow California's new 14-day quarantine advisory?
Help collecting and sourcing PPE is badly needed as healthcare systems across the country wait for relief in the form of an effective vaccine.
"From the entire medical community if you could give us one big last final push it would be greatly appreciated," said Dr. Kurani.
If you would like to make a contribution click here.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic