RELATED: Newsom unveils plan to reopen California, ease stay-at-home restrictions amid coronavirus pandemic
But those tests are a moving target.
The CEO of ARCpoint Labs says a finger prick test they offer seemingly exploded overnight. They launched it just last week and results are available within about ten minutes.
Sarah Lopez drove to a lab in Martinez from the gold country to get the test, paying $80 out of pocket.
Another mother and son from San Mateo found out they were negative.
"Just finding out I need to be extra careful and use protective gear," said Ilan Leventhal.
EXCLUSIVE: Kaiser wants to send 89-year-old COVID-19 patient back to Hayward nursing home with coronavirus outbreak
But ARCpoint Labs CEO John Constantine said new information on the FDA website means they are now transitioning to a different test.
"If you had an appointment scheduled already, we are going to see you through with that appointment. We are no longer accepting new appointments for the finger prick test and we're moving to a lab-based test that has to be completed in a more complex CLIA facility.," said Constantine.
So the newest iteration of the COVID-19 antibody test will require a blood draw, shipping it to Florida for testing and a $165-$195 price tag according to Constantine.
"All of us want to get our hands on those kinds of tests and make them available to the public. They just come with a lot of qualifications right now," said Contra Costa County Public Health Director Daniel Peddycord.
There are no FDA approved tests yet and therefore no clear-cut answers. The science changes daily as does the availability of the antibody test.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19