The sounds of silence in parts of downtown Walnut Creek were punctuated by fury.
INTERACTIVE MAP: What's shutting back down, still open during Bay Area stay-at-home orders
An anonymous man carried a sign and called out to people passing by, saying "It's as close to doomsday as we are going to get. Look at these businesses. It's sad."
A woman walking by called back to him, "There are so many businesses here hanging on by a thread."
Others yelled out the need for caution and mask-wearing.
Lining the streets were the restaurant stalls that were set up during a more hopeful time. They are empty now, with the owners saying they've been told by the city to take down their tents and lighting and heaters.
Others called it eerie - Even when you get to the usually bustling Broadway Plaza shopping district.
VIDEO: 'We worked so hard': Devastated East Bay businesses react to new shutdown
Shopper Em Marasco said about her trip to Nordstrom, "There was really no one in the store. A lot of people, sales reps coming up and asking if I needed help. I just zoomed through."
Across the street at a grocery store, there was no line to get in despite diminished capacity inside essential businesses.
"I think people were afraid to come out because of the pandemic, " was the explanation offered by shopper Elena Gaoiran.
No lines at banks or at local pharmacies, either.
RELATED: 'Seems really stupid': Bay Area businesses angered by another shelter-in-place
The owner of a hair salon in Pleasanton is hoping to stage a protest and convince the governor to roll back the closure.
Christine Palmer of Flaunt Hair Designs said, "We're all scared. It's extremely unfair. We feel like we are all being targeted."
A Walnut Creek salon owner closed up shop, still staying hopeful the new year will be better.
Melissa Malugani, owner of the Painted Mane Co. said, "My clients have become really resilient about pivoting and rescheduling over and over again. It's really unfortunate I can't bring them the gift of good hair for Christmas but we will get through this together."
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic