"My son is saying, mom, my friends are getting together, I say, honey, we've got to do what's right for our family," said Tammi Welch.
MAINTAINING LEARNING: Free educational resources for kids stuck at home during COVID-19
That's the speech Tammi Welch from Martinez has been giving to both her teenage kids during the CoronaVirus stay at home order.
Other than some outdoor exercise with the family, she's keeping both kids home, it's not an easy call.
"Your dad and I know keeping you and your sister home is the best thing we can do, I am over saying that," Welch added.
"Absolutely no playdates, no need for play dates," said Dr. Lisa Dana.
Dana is a San Francisco pediatrician and part of the clinical faculty at UCSF. She says it's the biggest question from parents concerned about COVID19, can my kids hang out with friends? The answer is no, social distancing applies to them too.
RELATED: Get the latest live updates on coronavirus crisis
"Children can absolutely get coronavirus, they don't have the same symptoms, sometimes mild but they can pass it along to parents and grandparents," said Dana.
And if your child injures themselves on a bike or skateboard, they may have to go the the ER, where doctors and nurses are already overwhelmed.
"We want to make sure we are reserving it for the patients who have Covid-19 who need to be seen urgently in ERs," Dana added.
Many Bay Area parks and skate parks are closed along with schools.
Retired teacher Sue Hammond reached out to ABC7 News to say we all need to hunker down at this difficult time.
"We're sacrificing the value of the classroom, so let's keep social distance for what it's meant for," Hammond said.
Go here for the latest news, information and videos about the coronavirus.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Coronavirus kindness: San Jose freelance journalist pays it forward one day after receiving money from stranger
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus California: Everything to know about stay at home order
- Bay Area cancelations, closures related to COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- Coronavirus in CA: Get resources and information about COVID-19
- Bay Area school closures related to coronavirus pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19