SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A group of people in San Francisco have helped get 1,500 people vaccinated. ABC7 News Reporter Melanie Woodrow spoke with the woman at the helm of their efforts.
Felisia Thibodeaux understands COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy.
"I almost gave myself a heart attack that first day, when I first got a headache, I was like 'see something's happening,'" said Thibodeaux.
After coming around herself, Thibodeux has now made it her mission to encourage others.
She says it's a team effort at the Southwest Community Corporation at I.T. Bookman Community Center.
"Even when I'm out talking to someone, someone else is answering the phone, we have a foot team that is out in community," said Thibodeaux.
Thibodeaux estimates they've encouraged approximately 1500 people to get vaccinated.
"You can't beat COVID single handedly by yourself, so for every one person we get vaccinated it has taken five and six people to outreach the information, to schedule their appointments to talk to them to overcome their fears about the vaccine," she said.
An anonymous donor who learned of Thibodeaux's efforts during the pandemic gave her money to buy a van, which she uses to deliver food to elderly residents, and on occasion, provide transportation to those who need it so they can vaccinated.
"I'm a negotiator, I went to five different places," said Thibodeaux.
"I was able to get two vehicles for the price of one by talking about what we were doing," she continued.
Program Manager Michael Perkins sometimes drives the van.
"At first I didn't realize I was doing that much of a difference, but then once the seniors started coming out and talking with me I realized how big of a difference I was making," said Perkins.
VACCINE TRACKER: Here's how CA is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
You might call Thibodeaux the vaccine queen, who laughed at the suggestion.
But no matter how you refer to her, Thibodeaux who is in remission for lupus, says she'll keep on keeping on.
"I've got work to do."
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows which counties can, can't reopen under reopening tiers
- Cheat sheet: What you can and can't do after being fully vaccinated
- How to register for a COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Interactive map shows what's closed and what's reopening in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Third stimulus check calculator: See how much you could get
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic