ABC7 asked shoppers inside Community Foods Market on San Pablo Avenue in Oakland if they are paying more for food.
Their answer: a resounding yes, although they may differ on what they're paying more for.
A shopper named Anthony said, "Beef prices have skyrocketed. Pork, like spareribs have skyrocketed."
But a shopper named Grace guessed: "butter, eggs, and dairy."
RELATED: Give Where You Live: Donate to Bay Area food banks
Turns out they're both right.
Brahm Ahmadi is Community Foods CEO.
"We've seen price fluctuations in meat anywhere from 10 percent to 30 percent increases and in some cases a non-availability entirely for a sustained period of time" he said.
Justin Offenbach - COO of Golden Gate Meat Company - says California wholesalers who were able to source from smaller, family owned companies saw less price volatility and so did consumers.
But wholesalers who rely on restaurant sales are really suffering.
"Our business is probably down about 60 percent which is a huge hit compared to four months ago," Offenbach said.
RELATED: List: Face masks required at stores including Walmart, Best Buy, Starbucks
Ahmadi says it's not just meat prices, eggs and dairy have seen big price spikes as well.
"Egg pricing for April through May went up substantially, 50-60 percent on some egg items," he said.
Grocers say prices have come down from their highs of May and June, but that can change week to week.
Their advice is to keep an eye out online and on weekly flyers for sales.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- California reopening: Here's what's open, closed in the Bay Area
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- WATCH: ABC7 Listens 'From Anger To Action: A Bay Area Conversation'
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US