EMERYVILLE, Calif. -- Employees of a biotechnology lab were mixing chemicals Monday afternoon in Emeryville when things got too hot, Alameda County Fire Department officials said.
Firefighters responded at 2:55 p.m. to the Joint BioEnergy Institute where a fire was contained to a fume hood, fire spokesperson Brian Centoni said.
A hazardous materials team was also called. Centoni said no one was injured and no one had to shelter in place.
A building was evacuated and sprinklers went off.
The hazmat team was evaluating some runoff as of late Monday afternoon.