"This is as close to normal as possible, the next thing would be to drop the masks," said referee Mac Parfet, who was at Half Moon Bay High school to officiate the school's football game against Burlingame High School.
RELATED: All youth sports, indoor and outdoor, allowed to resume in California, advocacy group announces
"These kids have gone without for 12 months. They've lost, lost, lost, and things have been taken away. Tonight is a celebration of getting stuff back," said referee, Curt Venderstelt.
Going into the stadium, everyone lined up to get their temperature taken, and the only spectators allowed in the stands were the athlete's family members, two for each student.
"We get our temperature taken, we fill out a questionnaire, we're socially distanced when we're in formation, and we're not stunting," explained varsity cheerleader and Half Moon Bay High senior, Sierra Gonzales.
RELATED: Saratoga High senior excited about soccer season following CA sports ban
"It's my senior year and I wish I was back at school with my friends," said Gonzales. "It feels amazing to finally see my cheer squad after a long time."
"It's really fun, having people to support you, and just having everyone around you, motivating you to keep going and just getting stuff done," said Danna Martinez, who is on the JV cheer squad.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the story in a new window
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- How to register for COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- How are Chinatown businesses surviving? Here's what we found
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic