"We're offering this with no out of pocket expense for travelers and the reason for this is about keeping our airport workers and the traveling public safe," said airport spokesperson Robert Bernardo.
One of the first in line at the new test site Tuesday was the county's undersheriff, whose deputies handle security at the airport. He hopes his staff will take advantage of this free test site.
VIDEO: What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
"Our deputies are out working in the streets, working in the jails, in the courts, they're around a lot of people. Being able to get tested on a regular basis will give us all peace of mind," said Undersheriff Rich Lucia.
The results come back in 15 minutes but officials recommend travelers get tested at least one day before their flight.
"You want to allow enough time because what if the test is positive? You want to be able to give yourself opportunity to change flights, change travel plans, go to your doctor," Bernardo said.
Free Covid testing site is now open at Oakland International Airport. This is for employees and travelers by appointment. It’s located at 9070 Earhart Road. pic.twitter.com/i5HEUuuIeu— Amy Hollyfield (@amyhollyfield) October 6, 2020
"If they wait for the day of departure, they should arrive 3 hours before departure to get tested, get the results and then allow enough time to check in for flight," he explained.
The test is free, quite a contrast to the tests being offered at San Francisco's airport by United Airlines for $250. Oakland officials say they wanted to make testing available for everyone and partnered with City Health to make that happen.
"City Health gets grants through the CARES Act so there is federal funding involved in this. That funding is being used to help everyone get tested," Bernardo said.
The test site is located at 9070 Earhart Road, about two miles from the airport. Officials say you need to make an appointment before arriving.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic