"One of the reasons they like this intersection is because there are five ways to escape, actually six," explained San Francisco Supervisor Ahsha Safai, who represents the Excelsior District.
RELATED: CHP video shows San Leandro sideshow, causes traffic jam on Interstate 580
The intersection he was pointing to has so many skid marks left behind by sideshows that the pavement is now entirely black.
It was also where, earlier this month, a Sacramento man was shot and killed and two other were injured in the area of Mission Street and Persia Avenue, the night a big sideshow was taking place.
"I know people think they're fun and exciting and especially during COVID people feel like there's nothing to do and they want to go out and they want to participate and they want to see these things but sadly we're putting lives at risk," said Mayor London Breed who supports the proposed legislation that would allow police to impound vehicles participating in sideshows. Any other cars used to aid and abet these stunts will also be seized.
RELATED: 71 arrests, 26 vehicles impounded in multiagency sideshow crackdown in Antioch
"Your car, if we catch you, will be impounded for no less than two weeks on the first offense, no less than 29 days on the second offense and thereafter," warned Police Chief William Scott.
He promised to go after the drivers and arrest them as well.
How? Primarily by using surveillance cameras.
"We're going to be getting over 15 cameras on this corner and video evidence is one of the most important factors in these crimes," added Supervisor Safai.
City officials are also concerned these large gatherings during this pandemic, with no social distancing, endangers local communities.
EXCLUSIVE: San Francisco resident describes savage attack by sideshow participants
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic