"The cuts we're making are terribly painful," said SFMTA Director Jeffrey Tumlin.
RELATED: Total shutdown of Muni service might be best way to curb COVID-19 spread, Union President says
Tumlin had no good news at a recent board meeting.
He said every aspect of the city's transportation future looks grim.
"We are planning for a $200 million dollar loss," said Tumlin.
Tumlin says 40 bus lines that were cut at the beginning of the pandemic won't return for at least two years, maybe not at all. With fare revenue down 90 percent, Muni needs a new sources of funding quickly.
"We fall off a financial cliff in 2022, to restore service, we're living on our credit cards for the next two years," Tumlin said.
RELATED: Changes, reductions coming to Bay Area transit agencies
Commuters say they were hoping many bus routes would return.
"I think it's terrible because people need to work and need to get to work," said commuter Robert Retana.
As for the city's signature Cable Cars, officials say they likely won't return to service until there's a COVID19 vaccine, in order to help keep operators safe.
Roger Marenco, President of Transport Workers Union, 250A suggests city leaders take a pay cut to save Muni.
"That's my challenge to them, take a 10 percent pay cut over the next 12 months," said Marenco.
But Muni officials say even that won't be enough to close the gap.
Meantime Muni rail service is scheduled to resume in August, and the Central Subway Project remains on track to open in late 2021.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 risk calculator: Quiz yourself on the safest, most dangerous things you can do as CAreopens
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Reopening California: What's opening and when in the Bay Area
- Everything we know about CA businesses opening and what comes next
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Latino community
- WATCH: 'Your Mental Health: A Bay AreaConversation' virtual town hall addressing COVID-19 impact on mental health
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions