"It is a turning point in the pandemic. All city workers- or 98% of them- are all back to work in this building, it's alive again and thriving," said San Francisco Supervisor Aaron Peskin.
98% of the city's employees met today's deadline to be fully vaccinated against COVID.
RELATED: Nearly 90 SF Muni operators could lose their jobs this week over vaccine mandate deadline
"Overwhelmed city employees stepped up, it took some work our HR people the unions EB kind of had to work through this but I feel like we are in a pretty good place," said supervisor Rafael Mandelman.
City leaders say even some of the hold-outs are still changing their minds.
"I was actually on the phone with the MTA and even as late as yesterday more employees were getting vaccinated so it has really been a success story,"
Convincing them to get vaccinated wasn't the only challenge. Some really enjoyed the benefits of working from home.
RELATED: Here's a breakdown of COVID-19 vaccination requirements for city employees in SF, Oakland and SJ
"Introverts may have liked some aspects of the pandemic now being surrounded by people, the challenge of that and fear around health stuff there were definitely some people who were reluctant even in my office," said supervisor Mandelman.
But it sounds like workers will receive a warm welcome when they get here.
'I've been in the building for most the pandemic and my staff has been back since the spring but it's going to be exciting to have more people here and get a little bit back to normal," he added.
VACCINE TRACKER: How California is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Should vaccinated people get tested if exposed to COVID-19? CDC explains
- How to show proof of vaccination in San Francisco or anywhere in California
- Here's everything you need to know about COVID-19 booster shots
- Everything to know about your 2nd Pfizer or Moderna shot
- Can a workplace require the coronavirus vaccine? Here's what we found
- CA COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker: See your status here
- Map shows every Bay Area vaccination site
- These CA counties are way ahead in vaccinations
- MAP: See how many people are vaccinated in your ZIP code