FRESNO, Calif. -- The number of inmates locked up in the Fresno County Jail is decreasing by the day, with 131 inmates released in the past several days after a new state order set a "zero bail" amount for most crimes.
Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims says a "get out of jail free" card is being handed out by the state because of the current emergency order prompted by COVID-19.
"This is going to set us back, this is going to mean more crimes," she said.
In a Facebook Live Monday, alongside Fresno County Supervisor Nathan Magsig, Mims says she has no choice but to abide by the ruling.
"Even though it says serious violent felonies can still have bail, not included on this list is child abuse, elder abuse, and vehicle theft. That means when somebody steals a vehicle and gets booked into the jail; they are going to have zero bail," she said.
The sheriff said state officials made the blanket ruling throughout California without taking into account what each specific county has done to reduce jail populations and protect the inmates from the coronavirus.
The ruling does not take into account the person's prior criminal history, including any strikes. It is based solely on current booking charges.
Over the past few weeks, an additional 297 inmates were set free in Fresno County after the Chief Justice of California recommended inmates with 30 days or less of their sentence remaining be released early.
The sheriff said those releases have allowed her department to have an entire floor of the jail empty and available, should the need to establish a quarantine zone arise.
So far, there have been no reported cases of COVID-19 in the jail involving either employees or inmates.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19