Sonoma Fit was hit with a $1,000 fine last week, according to reports.
The owner said the fine is "wrong" and added "gyms are not a threat to public health." He plans to appeal the penalty.
A county spokesperson said the owner of Sonoma Fit "understood the law" and the fine was issued only after he made it clear that he would not make any changes. "He was very defiant," according to the spokesperson.
Sonoma County remains in California's purple tier, which means gyms can only operate outdoors.
This is the second business to be fined by Sonoma County for a violation. The other was a car shop.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the story in a new window
INTERACTIVE: Here's the reopening status of every Bay Area county
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic