The exact details of the grant program will be drafted and brought back to the City Council for review. City staff said the money likely won't be distributed until February at the earliest.
RELATED: Devastated small business owners in the East Bay react to new shutdown
Generally, the program will see to provide $5,000 or $10,000 grants to restaurants in the city. The money would come from the city's general fund, which had some unspent money that had been budgeted in 2020.
Which businesses will be eligible is yet to be determined. The council advised staff to consider several factors, including the number of employees, whether it is independent versus a chain, whether it is downtown or citywide and basic financial information like tax returns.
The council recommended allocating $500,000 to the program.
VIDEO: Here's what Walnut Creek looked like on day 1 of new shelter-in-place
Some council members expressed concern that other businesses, such as gyms, personal services and retail, were left out. But generally, the council was unanimous in wanting to support restaurants.
Mayor Kevin Wilk said he understands other businesses are suffering, but said restaurants are more acutely at risk of closure due to whiplash from changing restrictions.
"We have to concentrate our efforts," said Mayor Wilk on the city's rebound efforts.
RELATED: CA restaurant owner claims to find 'loophole' to remain open new shelter order
"I think it's a great idea," said Walnut Creek Yacht Club Co-owner, Kevin Weinberg.
His restaurant has been a staple on Locust Street for 23 years and had been surviving through the first shutdown and outdoor dining era.
But this latest shutdown has been harder to handle, said Weinberg.
"Our revenue stream is down to a dribble. There's no hope," he said.
INTERACTIVE: Here's the reopening status of every Bay Area county
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the story in a new window
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic