Ten-year-old Emi Cortez is ready for the fifth grade. It's distance learning for now but she won't at home all of the time, she'll be at the YMCA on Mission Street in San Francisco with other students her own age.
BUILDING A BETTER BAY AREA: Back to school
"You do your Zooms, after that you do homework your teachers give you they give you time for that, you don't miss anything," said Cortez.
It's called Learning Camp, a new program launching at 20 YMCA locations in San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin counties.
Students meet in small groups with social distancing protocol and daily health checks.
"We have learning specialists at each site," said Marissa Cowan from the YMCA of San Francisco.
RELATED: Bay Area students torn over 'Zoom U' as universities restart with online instruction
Cowan says the program partners with school districts to help students learn and succeed.
It's open to all parents and costs about $285 per week. Essential workers and low income families get priority, with financial assistance available.
"One of our goals is equitable pricing. The program is for all families regardless of income... no one will turned away," said Cowan.
Many kids have already been taking part in the Y's summer camp and will soon transition to learning camp.
Lariece Williams from San Francisco has a job and four kids. She needs to find a program for her middle schooler. "All my kids grew up in the Y, they've gone to all the programs. I's something I'm looking to do with middle school."
The program begins August 17 in San Francisco. Registration is happening now. For more information, visit this page.
VIDEO: Doctor gives advice for monitoring kids' screen time amid pandemic
See more stories and videos about Building a Better Bay Area here.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic hereRELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties:Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get aCOVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic