San Francisco native Dr. Jeremy Faust is an emergency room doctor at Boston's Brigham and Women's College and instructor at Harvard Medical School.
"There really are places around the country where we don't have what we need. There are places where it's okay and places where it's not," Faust said.
He says there are shortages of gowns, plastic face shields and those N95 masks that filter out the virus.
"When we don't have what we need, it kind of violates the first rule of any emergency or any medical problem, which is see in safety. We (got to) be safe so you can be safe," he said.
RELATED: Coronavirus California: Here's a look at CA's COVID-19 hospital readiness
California has received more than 350,000 masks from federal stockpiles and is requesting 20 million more. But while hospitals wait, they must see patients using what they have on hand.
Meantime Faust has also been thinking about what to do with patients who test positive for coronavirus but have few or no symptoms.
"Every patient who comes in doesn't necessarily really need medical attention. They need diagnosis and they need isolation," Faust said.
And hospitals want to use beds for severe cases.
RELATED: Coronavirus impact: Bay Area healthcare workers speak out about mask, medical supply shortages
"Hotel takeovers. The government should be actually bailing the hotel industry. They'll be welcoming," he said.
Faust recently co-authored an op-ed in the Washington Post recommending that empty hotels be used to isolate people with coronavirus until the virus goes away.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirusoutbreak in US, around the world
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Bay Area cancelations, closures related to COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- Coronavirus in CA: Get resources and information about COVID-19
- Bay Area school closures related to coronavirus pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19