"In November, I was feeling very antsy and needed a break from the four walls of this room," Charles told 7 On Your Side.
Her escape plan? A road trip to Southern California.
"I booked several places, including L.A. to see my son and my husband's son, and then winding our way up north Paso Robles, Arroyo Grande and Ojai," she said.
RELATED: America's new road rules: How do you plan a summer vacation during the pandemic?
All the reservations were made through Airbnb, but then the pandemic really took off. L.A. hospitals were overwhelmed, and travel discouraged. Charles decided that this was not the best time to travel.
"I started canceling the reservations," she says, "and everybody was cool about it (offering), full refund."
Almost everyone. Two Airbnb hosts returned the entire cost of the stay, but the third one returned only the cleaning deposit, costing Cindy about $850... for nothing.
She checked back online and the host had followed his posted rules, that she had agreed to.
RELATED: COVID-19 new normal: Travelers may need health certificate -- here's what could change
Still this is a pandemic, so she asked 7 On Your Side about a refund. 7 On Your Side contacted Airbnb and it responded that there would be no TV interview and no refund. The company wrote, in part, that for all bookings after March 14, "... the host's cancellation policy will apply as usual and guests will not be able to cancel for COVID-19-related extenuating circumstances, unless they are sick."
And not just sick with COVID-19, but provably sick with COVID-19. Airbnb may require you to prove that you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 before a refund is issued.
7 On Your Side reached out to the Airbnb host, but we have not yet connected. The takeaway? As travel makes a comeback, it is more important than ever to read all policies and take screenshots or make copies. Airbnb's search feature allows you to search for a place to stay based on cancellation policy.
Take a look at more stories and videos by Michael Finney and 7 On Your Side.
Have a question for Michael and the 7 On Your Side team? Fill out the form HERE!
7OYS's consumer hotline is a free consumer mediation service for those in the San Francisco Bay Area. We assist individuals with consumer-related issues; we cannot assist on cases between businesses, or cases involving family law, criminal matters, landlord/tenant disputes, labor issues, or medical issues. Please review our FAQ here. As a part of our process in assisting you, it is necessary that we contact the company / agency you are writing about. If you do not wish us to contact them, please let us know right away, as it will affect our ability to work on your case. Due to the high volume of emails we receive, please allow 3-5 business days for a response.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- How to register for COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- CALCULATOR: Find out how many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- How are Chinatown businesses surviving? Here's what we found
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic