ALAMEDA CO., Calif. (KGO) -- A round of new reopenings is set for Alameda County Friday, including hair salons, nail salons and wineries -- with a big asterisk.
Here's the deal: The county is only allowing businesses to reopen for very limited outdoor activities.
What that means is hair salons, barbershops, nail salons, waxing services, skincare services and massage shops can all offer services outside, as long as they follow the rules laid out by Gov. Newsom earlier this summer.
But there are exceptions: Eyebrow threading and waxing, eyelash treatments and any service that would require you to take off a mask (like a facial, for example) are still banned -- even outdoors. Tattoos, piercings and electrolysis are also not allowed to operate outdoors, per state guidelines.
Another sector the county classifies as the "Non-medical Healing Arts" (whatever that means) must also remain closed.
Here's some more good news for Alameda County: wineries will be allowed to offer outdoor tastings by appointment only. But here comes another weirdly specific exception: the state has still ordered bars and breweries to remain closed, so only wineries are able to reopen at this time. (Some bars and breweries that serve food have been able to stay open outdoors because they're classified as restaurants.)
WATCH LIST: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
Outdoor swimming pools are also being allowed to reopen in Alameda County Friday.
The reopening timelines around the Bay Area are patchwork and confusing. We're tracking what's open and what's not around the Bay Area. Click the map below to see the latest where you live.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the story in a new window
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic