Finalists were selected by a panel of judges including representatives from Adobe, Arts Council Silicon Valley, the Children's Discovery Museum, First ACT, PG&E, and Mercury News columnist Sal Pizarro.
Members of the 2,100-member peregrine falcon online discussion group will vote over the next week, and winners will be announced Friday, May 22. To join the discussion group, go to: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/SanJosePeregrines/.
Tiercel (male) names - one male
1. Cazador ("Hunter" in Spanish)
2. Haru (derived from "Horus" the Egyptian falcon god)
3. Moraga (for José Joaquin Moraga, the founder of the Pueblo de San Jose de Guadalupe)
4. Veer ("Brave" in Hindi)
Falcon (female) names - three females
1. Arrayah ("A Ray of Hope")
2. Dia Mundo (Spanish, for the baby falcon born on Earth Day)
3. Ilahay (Persian origin, meaning "Little Angel")
4. Kya (African origin, meaning "Diamond in the Sky")
5. Luna (Spanish for "Moon")
6. Sol (Spanish for "Sun")
7. Tierra (Spanish for "Earth")