Zabaglione al Limoncello
Makes 8-10 portions
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 ¼ cups of sugar
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon of limoncello liqueur
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 ¾ heavy cream
- 3-4 cups of fresh strawberries, hulled and diced
- ¼ cup sugar
- Fresh mint leaves
- In a large stainless steel mixing bowl, whisk yolks and 1cup sugar together. Add limoncello and lemon juice and whisk to blend. Nest bowl in a pan over, but not touching, simmering water. Whisk until zabaglione thickens, 5 to 8 minutes. Cover and chill until cold.
- In another bowl, whip cream until it holds soft peaks. Fold into the zabaglione.
- Also, in a bowl, gently mix strawberries with ¼ cup sugar, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- In parfait or martini glass gently layer, alternately, the macerated strawberries and juice with zabaglione until filled.
Gabriella Insalata di Fragole
Strawberry & Fig Balsamic Salad
From Co-Executive Chef MASSIMO COVELLO
- 6 Organic California strawberries
- 2 tablespoon shallots
- ½ teaspoon ground Tellicherry black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoon fig balsamic
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 80 g Laura Chenel (Sonoma) goat cheese
- ½ lb mixed lettuce (from Star Route-Bolinas)
- Finely chop the shallots, put them in a large bowl with the pepper, salt and the fig balsamic; allow to marinate for 10 minutes. Add the extra virgin olive oil; mix well to emulsify.
- Wash and thoroughly dry the lettuce. In a large bowl, mix the lettuce and dressing for 30 seconds. It is very important that all the leaves are coated well with the balsamic dressing.
- Serve on a large salad plate with the sliced strawberries. Cut each strawberry in 6 pieces; place on top and around the salad. Sprinkle crumbled goat cheese on top just before serving.
I like to use a big bowl for mixing the salad; it gives it more intense flavor. Marinate the shallots in the balsamic for 10 minutes to soften the flavor of the shallots.
Emporio Rulli Gran Caffe
Pastry Chef/Proprietor Gary Rulli
2300 Chestnut Street
San Francisco, CA