Steak, roasted potato and grilled vegetable salad
This is not only a great way to use leftover steak, but also a nice way to serve steak hot off the grill. Although you can you can serve the salad with left over boiled potatoes, it's much better with freshly made oven-roasted potatoes. Serve with a hearty California of Rhone Valley Syrah or a hoppy, full-bodied pale ale.
- 1 ½ pounds small red or Yukon gold potatoes, cut into quarters
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, thyme, or savory or 2 teaspoons dried
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup or more olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs such as basil, thyme, oregano, or marjoram
- 2 cups grilled vegetables, newly grilled or leftover, such as zucchini, yellow squash coarsely diced
- 2 bell peppers (red, yellow, or green), grilled or fire-roasted and peeled, cut into thin strips, or 2 canned pimentos, cut into thin strips
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onions or scallions or chives
- ¾-1 pound leftover or freshly grilled steak, preferably marinated, such as grilled bourbon-marinated top round steak or marinated flank steak
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To roast the potatoes: preheat the oven to 450 f. In a mixing bowl, toss the potatoes with the remaining ingredients until well coated.
- Spread them on a sheet pan and roast until they are nicely browned on all sides, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Turn the potatoes often with a spatula as they cook. Set them aside while you assemble the salad.
- To make the Vinaigrette: Combine the garlic, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper in a small bowl or food processor. Gradually whisk in or process the oil until the dressing is emulsified. Stir in the chopped fresh herbs.
- To prepare the steak and grilled vegetable: Prepare all the ingredients and set aside.
- To assemble the salad: Mix together the potatoes and grilled vegetables ( reserve ¼ cup of the bell peppers or pimento strips) with the green onions or scallions in a large bowl.
- Toss with all but 2 tablespoon of dressing. Spoon the salad into a shallow serving bowl or platter slice the steak and arrange the slices over the salad.
- Garnish with the remaining bell pepper or pimento strips. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette over the steak and salad.
- Taste for salt and pepper and serve.