ABC7 ORIGINALS: 'The Earthquake Effect' provides in-depth coverage on Bay Area's readiness for the next major earthquake
There were 63 people killed, more than 3,700 people injured and up to $10 billion in damage. It caused massive damage in San Francisco's Marina District and also collapsed a section of the Bay Bridge and the Cypress Freeway in Oakland.
The epicenter was located near Loma Prieta Peak in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
The city of Oakland is commemorating the anniversary at the Cypress Freeway Memorial Park, the site of the collapsed freeway that took the lives of 42 people. Mayor Libby Schaaf spoke at the event where she reminded citizens to "honor, reflect and prepare" for the next major earthquake.
RELATED: 30 years after Loma Prieta quake, scientists call Bay Area 'Tectonic Time Bomb'
Gov. Gavin Newsom was Oakland this morning for the launch of the Earthquake Early Warning System. UC Berkeley's Seismology Lab developed the MyShake app, which uses ground motion sensors across the state to detect earthquakes before people feel them. State Senator Jerry Hill and representatives from UC Berkeley, the USGS will also be on hand for the launch.
The Great California ShakeOut Earthquake drill is taking place today. A resource fair with exhibits and an earthquake simulator is taking place San Francisco's Civic Center plaza.
Experts say this is a good day to make sure you are prepared. Check your emergency kit and make sure it has battery-operated radios, flashlights with extra batteries, a three day supply of food and water for everyone in the family and a manual can opener.
See more stories, photos and videos on earthquakes and the Loma Prieta anniversary.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- ABC7 Original Series: 'The Earthquake Effect' provides in-depth coverage on Bay Area's readiness for the next major earthquake
- Hayward Fault - Here's how close you are to the most dangerous fault in America
- The catastrophic fall and slow rise of the Bay Bridge after Loma Prieta
- Scientists call San Francisco Bay Area 'Tectonic Time Bomb'
- MAP: Significant San Francisco Bay Area fault lines and strong earthquakes
- From the Archives: ABC7's Peabody Award winning coverage of 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake
- PHOTOS: The Loma Prieta Earthquake
- What to pack in your earthquake emergency kit
- Prepare NorCal: Disaster Preparedness Resources
- Pet preparedness: How to keep your furry babies safe during a disaster or emergency
- Most powerful earthquakes in California history above 7.0 magnitude
- Earthquake scale: How they are measured and what the magnitude and intensity scales mean
- What is an earthquake? This is what happens when the ground starts to shake
- West Oakland residents remembers collapse of Cypress Freeway 30 years ago