"You can hide in the dark to do it, but your point will never be made because we don't know what you have to say," said Jimmy Ferrucci about the people who pelted his yard last weekend.
Jimmy and his wife Sarah made their statement months ago. You've heard of one room school houses? How about the two-car garage school house where the Ferrucci family, their kids and friends attend class together.
"We are advocating for our children. Standing up. Saying we want an option," said Sarah.
RELATED: North Bay parents divided over controversial 'Missing all CA students' billboard calling to reopen schools
The classes are taught on Zoom by teachers of the Benicia Unified School District. But instead of each child staying alone at home, 6th graders from Benicia Middle School take classes here.
"It is better here with my friends than socializing at home," said Alley Largaespada.
"Are you learning as much this way?" we asked Dominik Ferrucci.
"No," he said.
They have gathered five days a week since August, attending classes from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. They work together, lunch together, play together, and even have PE together -- experiences their parents try to make as normal as possible in these strange times.
RELATED: California school reopening map shows private schools opening in-person where public schools aren't
"I think it is absurd," said Alley's dad, Carlos Largaespada. "We are the only state where our kids can't go to school. Can't play sports. The social element for them is detrimental. Getting up in the morning to look at a computer screen? That sucks."
Out of curiosity, we asked for a show of hands. How many of the six students had been vaccinated. None.
How many have had COVID-19? None.
Granted, they're a small sample and living in a bit of an educational bubble, just one class in a garage with broken eggshells out front.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- How to register for COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- CALCULATOR: Find out how many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- How are Chinatown businesses surviving? Here's what we found
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic