LATEST FROM NEWSOM: Major reopening rollback ordered in CA in attempt to control rampant coronavirus spread
Ghaly focused on the state's effort to expand COVID-19 testing, especially to the most susceptible populations and communities.
At the end of March and early April, the state was conducting about 2,000 tests a day. In July, we're averaging 105,000 tests daily, he said.
California has conducted more than 5.5 million coronavirus tests since the start of the pandemic.
INTERACTIVE: Here's the reopening status of every Bay Area county
State officials believe more testing will help curb the spread of the virus because it will allow COVID-19 positive patients to quarantine and isolate more quickly before spreading it to others.
California is working to shift some of the burden of testing from state-run sites to pharmacists, nurse practitioners and other health care providers.
"By moving as much testing as possible to these providers or to local labs, we can increase access to testing and be able to identify patients who meet the highest testing priority. That will help us focus on the highest risk Californians," said Castro Ramirez, Secretary of Business, Consumer Services and Housing.
REOPENING CA: Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what's been ordered to close)
The state is also working with health insurance providers to make sure the cost of a COVID-19 test, which is about $100, is reimbursed for everyone.
On Monday, Gov. Newsom ordered the mandatory closure of indoor restaurants, bars and other businesses statewide in an attempt to get the spread of the virus under control. In counties on the watch list, even more sectors are being asked to close. The changes can be complicated to sort through; we break down what it means for the Bay Area here.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- California reopening: Here's what's open, closed in the Bay Area
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- WATCH: ABC7 Listens 'From Anger To Action: A Bay Area Conversation'
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US