The Shell gas station located at Olympic Boulevard and Fairfax Avenue in Mid-City was advertising regular unleaded at $6.99 a gallon. The price for premium was listed at $7.29 a gallon.
Each of the three highest increases since July 14, 2015, have occurred over the past three days.
RELATED: How high will gas prices go? CA 1st state to hit record average of $5 per gallon
"My husband told me and was like '$6' and I was like, 'What?!'" said Joana Esparza, who was pumping gas early Sunday morning. "I think I put gas last week sometime and it was still four-something. So I was just like, 'We need to go electric.' I think we need to already because that's insane. I don't think we've ever paid that ... ever."
Meanwhile in the Bay Area, gas prices continue to rise. In San Francisco, the average price for regular unleaded is $5.408 as of Sunday, according to AAA.
In San Jose, the current average for regular unleaded is $5.33. In Oakland, it's $5.34.
ABC7's Julian Glover tweeted a picture Sunday morning of gas prices in Oakland the day before, comparing them to February 24.
Oakland, CA ⛽️— Julian Glover (@JulianGABC7) March 6, 2022
Feb 24, 2022 ➡️ March 5, 2022 pic.twitter.com/lEgwI5h2Fk
RELATED: Bay Area gas prices range from $4 to $6 a gallon depending on station
If you're on the ABC7 News app, click here to watch live
Up in the North Bay, in Napa, the regular-unleaded average is $5.45, according to AAA data.
Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at Gas Buddy on Friday, gave ABC7 a sign of what's to come.
"There will be more increases coming, maybe to the tune of another 20-30 cents a gallon. I do expect the national average in the United States will hit the $4 a gallon mark. That's less than 2-3 weeks away," he says.
RELATED: Russia attack could impact Bay Area gas prices, expert says
De Haan explains about 80 percent of the gas price increase is impacted by the crisis in Ukraine. The other 20 is because of the transition to summer gas prices.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- How to help Ukrainians after Russia's attack
- From Chernobyl to Russian allies: Expert answers top questions from Google
- Where is Ukraine located? A brief look into one of Europe's largest, poorest countries
- Russia-Ukraine: Here's where the attacks in Ukraine are happening
- Why is Russia invading Ukraine? Countries share complex history, but Putin attacks for simple reason
- What the Russia-Ukraine conflict means for Bay Area
- Are sanctions hurting Russia? How the West is escalating financial penalties over Ukraine invasion
- What is SWIFT and why it's being called the 'nuclear' option for Russian sanctions
- Who is Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelenskyy? Before 2019 election, former comedian played president on TV
- What is NATO? Security alliance a key player in Russia-Ukraine conflict | Map of countries