SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Former San Francisco mayor Willie Brown is speaking out over the slow rollout of the COVID-19 vaccine in California.
Out of about 2.3 million coronavirus vaccine doses available in California, only 584,000 have been administered. Speaking to ABC7 News anchor Dion Lim in a phone interview Sunday night, Brown expressed belief in simplifying the process to where everyone can go to their local elementary school and get a vaccine.
"You wouldn't go through any of this nonsense of how old you are, whether you're a healthcare worker, an essential worker or a cop or a fireman or any of those things. It would be just as it was when we wanted to wipe out polio that's how we did it" said Brown.
Dion also asked why decision-makers chose this cautious rollout strategy.
"They just don't know any better," Brown said. "We who have been in the world of politics are literally so wedded to the idea of not making a mistake we don't do anything unless it's allegedly perfect and we prove it to be perfect before we do it. The vaccine won't work that way."
Brown says he has not gotten the vaccine yet. He has hope that his rollout plan, which he wrote about in the San Francisco Chronicle will capture the attention of Governor Newsom in time for his COVID-19 briefing on Monday.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- CALCULATOR: Find out how many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic