14-year-old Monica Sanchez is stoked to be living a Beach Boys song, wearing a wetsuit and "hanging ten" on a surfboard during school hours.
"It's crazy being online school on zoom, being in the ocean surfing gets my mind off of school," said Sanchez
RELATED: 'I am exhausted': Students at Vallejo's MIT Academy say 8 hour distance learning day is too much
Monica and seven of classmates from Leadership High School in San Francisco are at Lindamar Beach in Pacifica learning how to hang loose.
"Yes, I'm gonna surf today, going to catch all the waves," said Rosamay Martinez.
Students are getting school P.E. credit for the six-week program, made possible by nonprofit City Surf Project, now partnering with public schools. All equipment and instruction is totally free.
Co-founder Johnny Irwin is a former high school teacher, and longtime surfer who wanted to provide more students with equitable access to the sport.
"Growing up in the San Francisco surf scene, it was White male, upper class, and that a lot of people who hadn't gone surfing could benefit from the sport," Irwin said.
RELATED: San Francisco opens community learning hubs to help students navigate virtual classes
Trevon Boykin is a City Surf Project alumni, who now teaches other students to surf.
"To see them experience what I experienced for the first time is really rewarding," said Boykin.
For many this unique course is about more than just learning how to surf. It's about building self-confidence.
RELATED: El Cerrito school serves as a model for outdoor learning amid COVID-19
"If I go out there and say I'm going to do it and don't be afraid of the water, boom, I got it!" said Leadership High School student Rosamay Martinez.
Look out, these amateur surfers are getting good, and could turn pro one of these days.
For more information on the program, visit City Surf Project's website here.
See more stories and videos about Building a Better Bay Area here.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic