The first known COVID-19 case in the country was treated at a hospital in Washington, one year ago.
About ten days later, ABC7 News reported on the first known Bay Area COVID-19 case, a man from Santa Clara County who returned from China.
The patient had been in Wuhan, the center of the coronavirus outbreak in central China.
RELATED: California says it's safe to resume Moderna COVID-19 vaccine distribution
Nearly 30 airlines would later suspend flights to and from China.
But the virus spread.
There were outbreaks on cruise ships, Julie Choy from San Francisco was quarantined in her cabin off the coast of Japan for weeks.
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
VACCINE TRACKER: How California is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
"We just don't know what happened, we're so scared," said Choy last February.
Doris Bloch from San Francisco, 85, was only the seventh patient to be admitted UCSF last march with COVID-19. Bloch survived, today she's feeling thankful.
"There seems to be light at the end of the COVID tunnel, but we still have to maintain distance, it's no joke," said Bloch.
Hundreds of other families would struggle.
RELATED: 1 year ago today: Doctor reflects on treating 'patient one,' 1st confirmed COVID-19 case in US
Daily COVID-19 cases have spiked since last November in the Bay Area.
As of Thursday, there are 361,485 confirmed cases.
At a time when the pandemic is reaching its deadliest, President Joe Biden has an ambitious plan, aiming for 100 million shots in 100 days.
"He says he's going to roll out everything he says he's going to do, getting as many people vax as we possibly can," said Dr. Anthony Fauci.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- How to register for COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- CALCULATOR: Find out how many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- How are Chinatown businesses surviving? Here's what we found
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic