"Directing that all bars, nightclubs, wineries, brewpubs and the like, be closed in the state of California. We believe that this is a non-essential function in our state," said Gov. Gavin Newsom.
RELATED: Coronavirus pandemic: SF's Union Square a 'ghost town' as shoppers stay home, stores announce closures
Even though this was not a mandatory order from the governor, in the Tenderloin, Tonic Bar also closed its doors today.
"I think it's the right thing to do. The hope is that the measures we take now will prevent things from being much worse later," said Tonic Bar owner, Ben Bleiman.
Two days ago, when we interviewed Bleiman he was wondering how long his bar was going to remain open. His biggest fear was his employees not getting paid.
"We are emailing them all to let them know that they should file for unemployment as soon as possible," said Bleiman.
#Coronavirus |— Luz Peña (@LuzPenaABC7) March 14, 2020
“Pray that we don't go out of business”
San Francisco businesses struggle to stay open during COVID-19 crisis.
Full story:⬇️https://t.co/P1JgTYg866@abc7newsbayarea pic.twitter.com/T37GKy0sX9
Governor Newsom also announced restrictions for restaurants.
"Consideration is to socially distance patrons within these establishments," said Newsom.
The owner of French restaurant Chapeau!, chef Philippe Gardelle, has been implementing social distancing since last week.
"This week I'm very concern. France shut down, Spain, Italy and I will listen to anything I'm told to do," said Gardelle.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirusoutbreak in US, around the world
- What to know about COVID-19 in Calif., how it'saffecting San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus: Cancellations, suspensions and shortages related to the global virus outbreak
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Everything Americans need to know about coronavirus
- Coronavirus Prevention: How to properly wash your hands
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Coronavirus Outbreak: 7 questions answered
- Is the new COVID-19 virus more 'deadly' than flu? Not exactly
- Coronavirus outbreak: Health expert shares tips for preparedness, emergency supply list to stay healthy
- Coronavirus: SF artist creates realistic-looking custom respirator masks that unlocks iPhones
- Coronavirus outbreak: SF doctor explains how to protect yourself, stay healthy
- Coronavirus: SF State educator addresses xenophobia in the Bay Area
- SF Mayor London Breed explains declaring state of emergency over coronavirus