As of Monday, there are 30,978 confirmed COVID-19 cases in California. More than 1,200 people have died. Hospitalizations climbed by 1.9% since Sunday and ICU hospitalizations went up by 2.8%.
RELATED: How close was California to having a New York-level coronavirus crisis? Our interactive timeline takes a look
Newsom wasn't ready to give an update on when the state might begin to roll back shelter-in-place restrictions and begin reopening. He said more clarity would come Wednesday.
"I know how impatient people are, but I cannot express more gratitude for the incredible and heroic work all of you have done to soften the blow of this virus so far in the state of California," Newsom said. "I'm as eager as you to answer the question 'when' and on Wednesday we'll have more clarity."
Before making any decision on reopening, Newsom said he'd continue to evaluate the state's progress on six key criteria. (Read more on the criteria here.)
Newsom also announced an initiative on Monday to support California students in his daily update on the spread of novel coronavirus in the state.
Newsom opened the press conference by introducing his wife, First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom, who said she has been working with business leaders and philanthropic partners to distribute 70,000 laptops, Google Chromebooks and tablets for students in need around the state starting this week.
"Because of these commitments, hundreds of thousands of families will help cross the digital divide," said Siebel Newsom. "Our mission will not end until every child in California has what they need to continue learning while physically distanced."
This latest announcement builds on previous pledges by Google to donate 4,000 Chromebooks and open up 100,000 free WiFi hot spots and by Apple to donate 10,000 iPads.
Gov. Newsom said Google's hot spots would start to come online in the first week of May.
We'll be streaming Newsom's press conference Wednesday on abc7news.com, Facebook and YouTube.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19