HOLLYWOOD, Calif. -- Los Angeles police arrested a man suspected of using a sledgehammer to destroy Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, officials said Thursday.
RELATED: Suspect arrested in vandalism of Trump's walk of fame star, LAPD says
Jamie Otis was taken into custody early Thursday on suspicion of felony vandalism, Officer Andrew Chambers said. It wasn't immediately known if he has an attorney.
Otis told several media outlets after Wednesday's pre-dawn attack that he originally intended to remove the star. He said he wanted to auction it off to raise funds for the 11 women accusing the presidential candidate of groping them. Trump has denied the groping allegations.
The LAPD did not immediately disclose the suspect's identity, but said the person was arrested without incident and was being booked at the Men's Central Jail in downtown. The charge was not specified.
In an interview at the scene Wednesday morning, a man who identified himself as James Otis said his motive for destroying the star involved the sexual-assault allegations against Trump.
"I have four or five family members (who were) sexually assaulted," Otis said. "I'm terribly upset that we have a presidential nominee who's become the poster child for sexual violence."
He told a camera crew that he planned to sell pieces of the star and donate the proceeds to women allegedly sexually assaulted by the Republican candidate.
PHOTOS: Trump's Walk of Fame star smashed with pickaxe
The LAPD on Tuesday received a report that someone was threatening to vandalize the star on Hollywood Boulevard. When officers arrived at the location, the damage had been done and the vandal was gone.
The demolishment -- committed by a man who appeared to be a construction worker -- was done with a sledgehammer and pickax, and captured in an exclusive video from Deadline Hollywood.
According to several witnesses, the incident began at about 6 a.m. and did not initially seem unusual.
"Because he had on a vest, a construction vest, he had on a construction hat, he had the dividers, so I just thought he worked for the city," Gregory Howie, a street artist, said of the vandal.
Leron Gubler, president of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, which maintains the Walk of Fame, later released a statement regarding the matter:
"The Hollywood Walk of Fame is an institution celebrating the positive contributions of the inductees. When people are unhappy with one of our honorees, we would hope that they would project their anger in more positive ways than to vandalize a California State landmark. Our democracy is based on respect for the law. People can make a difference by voting and not destroying public property."
Repair work on the star was underway by Wednesday afternoon. Gubler said the brass lettering had been reinstalled, and that the terrazzo would take several days to several days to season.
"Once we deem it's ready, they'll come back and polish the star," Gubler said. "It will look as good as new."
RELATED: Naked Trump statue could find new home in SF
Click here for more stories on Donald Trump.
The Associated Press has contributed to this report.