It's a tax break for giving to charitable organizations. It could give a much need boost to those in need in our pandemic ravaged economy, which is part of Building A Better Bay Area.
As you add up how much you've saved, the best deal of all could be a special tax break Congress included in its pandemic relief bill.
RELATED: Some Americans facing uncertain future as federal COVID-19 unemployment assistance programs run out
"The CARES Act actually enacts a new provision that is going to allow individual taxpayers to deduct up to $300 on cash contributions made by check or credit card or debit card to a qualifying charity," explained Caroline Chen, asst. professor of accounting at San Jose State University.
After tax reform three years ago, nine out of 10 taxpayers stopped itemizing donations. But this is a one-time deduction everyone can take this year, even if you take the standard deduction.
It also has a potential multiplier effect as foundations or other major funders evaluate which organizations to support.
"They'll look and see how their fundraising, how nonprofits' fundraising is going, how much support they have through individual donations, and they'll make decisions about how to fund those organizations, using that information," said Kyra Kazantzis, CEO of the Silicon Valley Council of Nonprofits.
RELATED: Keeping the holidays happy: Bay Area organizations rely on virtual efforts to get toys to kids
COVID-19 made it impossible for nonprofits to raise money from golf tournaments or dinners. Every contribution, large or small, helps. Individual donations frequently make up 50 to 70% of a nonprofit's budget.
How can you make a difference? Tuesday is ABC7's Day of Giving. We'll be sharing the meaningful work of Bay Area nonprofits you may want to consider supporting.
"Let's put aside a little bit of money so that we can donate to the causes that we really care about and support the community around us," said Kyra Kazantzis.
Full list of Bay Area organizations to donate to this holiday season here.
See more stories and videos about Building a Better Bay Area here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic