However, some of those laid off workers have been able to bounce back with new roles from right up the road. "We're definitely still growing," Miranda Kalinowski, Head of Facebook Global Recruiting, said. "We're hiring."
RELATED: Coronavirus pandemic has you looking for a job? Indeed can help
The pandemic has sent Facebook into what some are calling a "hiring surge." "This feels like probably more than ever, the time that people are really using our products and services," Kalinowski said. "Whether it's Facebook, or Messenger, or WhatsApp or Instagram to keep in touch with those they would love to see face to face but can't. We really need builders to build those products and to help keep them up."
Facebook plans to hire 10,000 additional workers for its product and engineering teams by the end of the year. The company is also looking for designers, researchers and people for their communications, finance, and recruiting teams. "I looked in the Bay Area and we have about 1,500 positions that we're advertising which is really exciting," Kalinowski said.
RELATED: Author shares guide to landing entry level job post graduation
Like many companies, Facebook's roles are remote. For the first time, all internships are also remote. The interviewing process is completely virtual. Kalinowski said Facebook has a new commitment to getting a sense of candidates through authentic connections, even if its through a screen.
"You know asking them how they are to start an interview and really listening and caring about how they are," Kalinowski said. "The circumstances that they're navigating, we're having a lot of empathy obviously because we're in the same situation."
Position: Graphics Engineer Instagram
Job Details: Design, develop, and maintain high quality interactive rendering effects. Exploring augmented reality, face filters, environmental effects, gaming, etc. to build a fun and entertaining camera. Must have a Bachelor's or Master's degree.
You can find more on this job and others, here.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic hereRELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- WATCH LIVE: Daily briefings from CA, Bay Area officials
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Latino community
- WATCH: 'Your Mental Health: A Bay AreaConversation' virtual town hall addressing COVID-19 impact on mental health
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions