Flames shot out of a home that had previously burned in Skyhawk as a hot spot flared up Monday night, less than 24 hours after the destruction occurred.
"It's unfortunate what we're going through," says Joe Burroughs of Santa Rosa. Smoke and flames were still in sight of the Skyhawk neighborhood where Burroughs lives on Monday night. He stayed at his house and, Monday morning, he witnessed the homes across the street burning. His home was spared but others were not so lucky.
Monday afternoon, the attention switched to Trione-Annadel State Park, where ABC7 News was on the front line with firefighters. Crews there were in the midst of a controlled 5-acre burn.
VIDEO: Smoke, flames in Northern California wine country as fires rage
"The term 'fighting fire with fire...' we have to do that a lot, especially when we have the winds and conditions that we've been dealing with lately," says Captain Jason Jones of the Sonoma County Fire District. Firefighters say winds died down Monday, allowing them to burn that small area and do so with no problems.
While homes did burn Monday morning, ABC7 News wasn't alerted to any additional houses that burned Monday evening in Santa Rosa -- some good news for the more than 68,000 people evacuated in Sonoma County.
"Kinda been here, done that. We got out of here a little quicker before but it seems like it's becoming a pattern and I don't want to get too acquainted to this evacuation stuff," says Mike Ossendeck, who came back to his evacuated neighborhood Monday to search for his cat.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Track wildfires across Bay Area with this interactive map
- What we know about the fires burning in the North Bay
- LIST: Wildfires prompt evacuation orders & warnings in Napa, Sonoma counties
- Track air quality levels impacted by smoke from wildfires
- Video shows smoke, flames in wine country as Glass Incident, other fires rage
- WATCH: Staggering footage shows lightning storm that started complex fires
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- Comparing the 10 biggest wildfires in California history
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- Camp Fire is deadliest wildfire in California history
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire