ABC7 spoke with the Director of Public Health at UCSF, Dr. George Rutherford.
RELATED: London Breed details San Francisco reopening plan, latest face covering requirement
"The issue here... is how to protest safely?" he said. "How do you decrease your chances of being infected, while you're out in crowds?"
Dr. Rutherford said there are three ways large protests could result in a spike of coronavirus cases.
First, if masks aren't worn properly.
"People aren't talking they are yelling, and shouting," he said. "It's more of a forceful exhalation, and it cuts down on how efficient the masks can prevent droplets from spreading."
Second, if crowds aren't social distancing.
Over the weekend, video of protests across the Bay Area clearly shows that isn't happening.
VIDEO: The best and worst moments from Bay Area protests
Even, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf admitted she's terrified of the virus spreading.
"Let's be clear this virus can spread so easily," Schaaf said. "On Friday night we had 8,000 protesters in a tight group. That is not safe."
The third fear revolves around tear gas or pepper spray.
"It tends to have people rub their eyes, that's one of the ways you can take it off a surface," he said.
Rutherford explained if protesters don't wear masks, we will see a surge in COVID-19 cases.
"We need voluntary compliance, voluntary willingness to do the right thing," San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott said. "Law abiding citizens... that follow the law."
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- WATCH LIVE: Daily briefings from CA, Bay Area officials
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Latino community
- WATCH: 'Your Mental Health: A Bay AreaConversation' virtual town hall addressing COVID-19 impact on mental health
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions