WATCH: George Floyd protests, briefings planned in San Francisco Bay Area
The event coincided with large protests in Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Chicago and other major cities.
The peaceful protest and march across the span started at noon from the toll plaza, and thousands queued up ahead of time.
This is happening. Protesters have flooded on to the span of the Golden Gate Bridge, shutting down the San Francisco-bound side. Most traffic on both sides has been at a standstill. #GeorgeFloyd pic.twitter.com/f3NDShjbEQ— Liz Kreutz (@ABCLiz) June 6, 2020
Here’s video of #GeorgeFloyd protesters marching on the Golden Gate Bridge. Traffic has been stopped, but people were getting out of their cars taking photos, cheering and holding signs in support. #SanFrancisco pic.twitter.com/QijvsVHxBA— Liz Kreutz (@ABCLiz) June 6, 2020
One more video from the #GeorgeFloyd protest on the Golden Gate Bridge. (I hoped to interview people but traffic started moving and I had to run back to my car and drive away!) pic.twitter.com/dlBi6u1j9i— Liz Kreutz (@ABCLiz) June 6, 2020
Tiana Day and Mimi Zoila organized the event through social media. They had no ideas they would see such a turnout.
17-year-old Day was there with her dad. Both have been active in the Black Lives Matter protests around the Bay Area in the last week.
"It's a beautiful thing," said Day.
Marquis Rodney said he was marching for the many untold stories that he's heard firsthand from people in his community. He said he's lucky to have succeeded and gone to college but so many others in his neighborhood got left behind.
"We want systemic change," said Rodney
VIDEO: George Floyd protesters block lanes on the Golden Gate Bridge and kneel near the toll plaza
Bay City News Service contributed to this report.
Take a look at the latest stories and videos about the investigation into George Floyd's death in Minneapolis and protests across the U.S.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- VIDEO: The best and worst moments from Bay Area protests
- Here's which Bay Area cities are under curfew and what it means
- Watch George Floyd protests live: Demonstrations, briefings planned in San Francisco Bay Area
- Jamie Foxx, Rev. Amos Brown speak at peaceful kneel-in at San Francisco City Hall
- 'Rioting is the language of the unheard': Host, comedian W. Kamau Bell discusses racism in America
- SF mayor delivers powerful message at protest with Jaime Foxx
- George Floyd's son joins Texas protesters in peaceful demonstration
- San Francisco police chief recalls time as LAPD officer during 1992 Rodney King riots, asks residents to 'stay at home'
- Powerful images show clashes with police, demonstrators during protests over George Floyd's death